Skip to main content

First Hellos

Hello. Maybe I need an introduction. Maybe I don't. Here goes.

I am a girl who believes that life is worth living. I believe that God created us for so much more than all that we have settled for. To me, life is exciting. It hasn't always been. Before I began my relationship with Jesus Christ when I was 15 years old, I wished for death, and found pleasure and hope in nothing. To describe my life before I met Jesus, I was listless and hopeless, and literally felt like I was drowning in a dark black hole, and it was swallowing me up. These last five years have been a journey. I look back and can see how much I've changed and grown. How my identity has slowly formed into who I am and who I'm becoming. I see how much I still need to change and grow. Life is about growing. Life is about living.
 
I am creating this space because I need to. I jump for joy because of Jesus. I writhe in pain because of the struggles that still haunt me. Maybe if I write what I am going through, what I am feeling, and my experiences and hopes for the future, someone will benefit. If no one else, at least myself.

Anyways. This is me. Just a girl, living her life, grasping at the fuller things, and struggling to overcome the ghosts of who I once was. A girl who believes life is beautiful, and is passionate about serving her Creator. Living the life she was believes she was created to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going Another Direction?

It's terrifying, isn't it? To admit to yourself that your dreams, all you've ever wanted to do . . . and what you always firmly believed God was calling you to do . . . isn't true anymore. And that maybe God is calling you somewhere else. And not to where He was before. Not to where you thought you'd always be. I always felt called to orphan care. I love children. Jesus loves children. And they really need people to care about them. They are the losers of the world. Losers because they are powerless to win against the tyrannous adults who trample them. Abandoned, abused, neglected . . . they are weak and helpless, easily destroyed. And you know what? No one seems to care. We look the other way and pretend it doesn't happen. It's a common thing, right? To politely gasp over shocking horrors and tragedies, and then carry on sipping our sweet tea while complaining about how hot the weather is. Because we don't want to think about that stuff. That sh*t...

Performance

Performance . . . it's where I have always sought my self-worth. I was praised if I behaved well or did a job well done. I was told I was "sweet." It became what I strove after. To make my parents happy. To get their attention. I had little else to cling to. I felt insignificant in every way. I never felt like I was enough. When I first got attention for talent in art, I clutched at it and forced myself to be good at it. I made it my identity. It was all I had. Other than that, there was nothing: I had no personality, I was uninteresting, quiet, shy, worthless. But art . . . that suddenly gave me something. Other people started projecting that identity on me as well. I remember the day I sobbed in my bed because it was discovered that my brother was also artistic - and better than me. It was all I had, and now I had nothing. I was a nobody. I had no value, worth, or significance. Always performance. Always what I could do. What I could give. I sought worth...

Journal entry 6/22/17

I flipped through my journal and saw what I wrote while I was in Russia. I forgot that this stuff happened . . . I forgot the emotions I felt . . . it felt strange to relive them and remember so much that happened. here is the original entry, with no edits:  *** "I woke up laughing. Joy. Purpose. Excitement for doing God's work. It didn't matter I still have bad jet lag and only slept 5 hours at the most last night. I was bursting. This time not with tears, but joy. Last night, I could no longer hold back all the negative emotions contained in my soul. All afternoon, I felt a loneliness, and a longing to connect. I wanted to discuss my thoughts and feelings with someone. But there was no one. I felt like an outcast. And alone, but not alone. Surrounded, suffocation. Insecurities about my image and body, my personality, surfaced and completely invaded my mind. Instead of there being a focus on God and the ministry I was supposed to be working for Him, my thoughts w...