Skip to main content

stocky

"You're as skinny as a bean pole!" my mom exclaimed admirably to my younger cousin. I jumped in front of her eagerly.
"What about me, Mom? Am I?"
She hesitated. "No," she said slowly. "You're built more ... stocky."

I don't think she realized those worlds felt like a shotgun to my heart. From then on, I viewed myself as "stocky," a word which I associated with other words such as "fat" and "ugly." It became my identity in a sense. Strangely, I don't even think that is the word my mom used to describe my build. I think the word she actually used at the time was "sturdy." But "stocky" is the word that I took; "stocky" is the word that seared my heart and burned into the back of my eyelids.

It is strange to me that I did not ever go on any diets until I was 17 years old. I hated my body and considered myself fat, but it never occurred to me to go on a diet or exercise. If I ever considered it, I always saw it as much too difficult and time, even energy, consuming. I wasn't exactly wrong.

It was when I was 17 that I started being around more people than I had ever been around before. As a sheltered and home-schooled child, I didn't get out much. But once I started working with peers, I started feeling more conscious about how I looked and how I was perceived. I went on my first diet. It worked, but it only lasted about 6 months.

Three years and several health regimes later, I wonder to myself. Why does body image consume me? Why am I so obsessed with being thin? Am I really just a self-absorbed, selfish person ...? I wonder.

At times, I am happy. At times, I am sad. So sad I wish for death. I cry endlessly in the mirror as I stare at my naked body. "Why?" I cry. "Why am I so fat? And why do I care?" Will it ever end? Will I ever feel like enough?

At times, I feel enough. At times, I feel miserable. I walk into the bathroom fifty times in one hour, staring once again at my ugly body, as if somehow it will magically transform into what I want it to be. It never does.

Is this an impossible nightmare? Will I wake up? Sometimes the dream is sweet. Sometimes, it is hopeless.

I know I was not meant to live this way. God never intended this for me. If I remember that, I suddenly realize how ridiculous it is, and such a waste of my time and energy to focus on the size of my body. But it can be hard to remember. It can be hard to stop the frenzy and look outside of myself. What was I really meant to be? Created to be?

Lately I have been taking much thought, trying to sort out what is truth, and what is lie. I thought I knew the lies. I thought I could see through them. But, after all, I have been believing them all along.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going Another Direction?

It's terrifying, isn't it? To admit to yourself that your dreams, all you've ever wanted to do . . . and what you always firmly believed God was calling you to do . . . isn't true anymore. And that maybe God is calling you somewhere else. And not to where He was before. Not to where you thought you'd always be. I always felt called to orphan care. I love children. Jesus loves children. And they really need people to care about them. They are the losers of the world. Losers because they are powerless to win against the tyrannous adults who trample them. Abandoned, abused, neglected . . . they are weak and helpless, easily destroyed. And you know what? No one seems to care. We look the other way and pretend it doesn't happen. It's a common thing, right? To politely gasp over shocking horrors and tragedies, and then carry on sipping our sweet tea while complaining about how hot the weather is. Because we don't want to think about that stuff. That sh*t...

Performance

Performance . . . it's where I have always sought my self-worth. I was praised if I behaved well or did a job well done. I was told I was "sweet." It became what I strove after. To make my parents happy. To get their attention. I had little else to cling to. I felt insignificant in every way. I never felt like I was enough. When I first got attention for talent in art, I clutched at it and forced myself to be good at it. I made it my identity. It was all I had. Other than that, there was nothing: I had no personality, I was uninteresting, quiet, shy, worthless. But art . . . that suddenly gave me something. Other people started projecting that identity on me as well. I remember the day I sobbed in my bed because it was discovered that my brother was also artistic - and better than me. It was all I had, and now I had nothing. I was a nobody. I had no value, worth, or significance. Always performance. Always what I could do. What I could give. I sought worth...

Journal entry 6/22/17

I flipped through my journal and saw what I wrote while I was in Russia. I forgot that this stuff happened . . . I forgot the emotions I felt . . . it felt strange to relive them and remember so much that happened. here is the original entry, with no edits:  *** "I woke up laughing. Joy. Purpose. Excitement for doing God's work. It didn't matter I still have bad jet lag and only slept 5 hours at the most last night. I was bursting. This time not with tears, but joy. Last night, I could no longer hold back all the negative emotions contained in my soul. All afternoon, I felt a loneliness, and a longing to connect. I wanted to discuss my thoughts and feelings with someone. But there was no one. I felt like an outcast. And alone, but not alone. Surrounded, suffocation. Insecurities about my image and body, my personality, surfaced and completely invaded my mind. Instead of there being a focus on God and the ministry I was supposed to be working for Him, my thoughts w...